Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jumping Jack Flash

We generaly don't have a lot of time to actually create something decent in our Toon Boom class. It's just a few short hours on a Saturday morning, so we usually watch a demonstration and then get a quick task to do to test the tools and methods shown.

The walk cycle below was done a few weeks back in Storyboard Pro, which I'm not all that impressed with (I find it extremely limited). We just had a few minutes to put a walk cycle together and try out some things, like adding and editing sound, so it's not a finished piece or anything. It was a stroke of luck that I found this sound clip on the computer I was using, complete with dog yapping and chariots of fire. And it was the first track I opened! Definitely had karma on my side that day. I only wish I'd had time to do a bit more with it.

video

The second short is what I managed to do today (and last Sat) in Digital Pro. Things are starting to get a bit more complicted, but I'm not yet convinced that I couldn't do all of this in Flash, which to me seems a lot simpler and easy to use. I'm sure that once I get the hang of Toon Boom and start getting into the nitty gritty of cut-out animation, inverse-kinematics, lip-synching and so on, that I'll be a whole lot more impressed, but for now it's slow going learning to do some basic things in a seemingly complicated way. The good news is that we're going to have a bit more time to develop this little short as next week we finally get to create backgrounds. Yay! But this is where it's at for now.... I know - it's tiny, but I have my reasons for that...

video

Monday and Tuesday I'll be attending Animation Day 1 and Day 2 which is being run as part of the Durban International Film Festival - there'll be presentations by some of my CFAD teachers, screenings of animated films, a Toon Boom presentation, and some discussion about the animation industry... so we'll see if I have anything interesting to report back.

Right now, Im totally distracted by ET which is on the telly... and they've just done the flying bicycle scene. :) Love that. And how weird to hear the voice from the 'Speak and Spell' thing that we had as kids... "Spell nuiscance. Correct. Now spell question...." I remember that voice like it was yesterday!

No comments: